Destination #3 of Cluster Mobility is referred to as the “Sustainable, secure, and competitive energy supply”. Under the umbrella of this Cluster of Mobility, there are in total six distinct destinations or impacts, each one related to a specific area of the broad issue of mobility. Here we will analyze destination #3.
Where does destination #3 aim at?
- Research and innovation actions that will make the energy supply side cleaner, more secure, and competitive by boosting the cost performance and reliability of a broad portfolio of renewable energy solutions.
- Progressive electrification of demand side sectors (buildings, mobility, industry) and integration of other decarbonised and low-emission energy carriers, such as renewable hydrogen.
- Advancement of Innovative energy storage solutions (including chemical, mechanical, electrical, and thermal storage) to be ready for industrial-scale and domestic applications.
- Development of Capture, Utilisation and Storage (CCUS) in electricity generation and industrial applications.
Which Horizon calls address destination #3?
Each cluster of Horizon Europe is addressed by the so-called “calls”, a kind of announcement from the European Commission to all stakeholders, and to everyone interested in applying for funding for a project or a research idea.
Calls are also announced for each destination of each cluster. Thus, this destination #3 contributes directly to the Strategic Plan’s Key Strategic Orientation: 1) “Making Europe the first digitally-enabled circular, climate-neutral, and sustainable economy through the transformation of its mobility, energy, construction, and production system”, 2) “Promoting an open strategic autonomy by leading the development of key digital, enabling and emerging technologies, sectors, and value chains to accelerate and steer the digital and green transitions through human-centered technologies and innovations”. The expected impact of this destination is to contribute to a “More efficient, clean, sustainable, secure and competitive energy supply through new solutions for smart grids and energy systems based on more performant renewable energy solutions.”
Specifically, the calls under destination #3, Sustainable, secure, and competitive energy supply, are 5 and each one has several topics:
Call – Sustainable, secure, and competitive energy supply. This call opened on 13 December 2022 and the deadline for submitting proposals is on 30 March 2023.
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-01-01: Renewable Energy Valleys to increase energy security while accelerating the green transition in Europe
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-01-02: PV integration in buildings and infrastructure
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-01-03: Floating PV Systems
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-01-04: Solar Systems for Industrial Process Heat and Power
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-01-05: Critical technologies for the offshore wind farm of the Future
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-01-06: Demonstration of advanced biofuel technologies for aviation and/or shipping
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-01-07: Demonstration of synthetic renewable fuel for aviation and/or shipping
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-01-08: Demonstration of sustainable tidal energy farms
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-01-09: Waste heat reutilisation from data centres
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-01-10: Supporting the development of a digital twin to improve management, operations, and resilience of the EU Electricity System in support of REPowerEU
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-01-11: Demonstration of DC-powered data centres, buildings, industries, and ports
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-01-12: Development of MVDC, HVDC, and High-Power Transmission systems and components for a resilient grid
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-01-13: Development of novel long-term electricity storage technologies
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-01-14: Demonstration of innovative, large-scale, seasonal heat and/or cooling storage technologies for decarbonisation and security of supply
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-01-15: Supporting the green and digital transformation of the energy ecosystem and enhancing its resilience through the development and piloting of AI-IoT Edge-cloud and platform solutions
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-01-16: Support action to the SET Plan IWG on HVDC & DC Technologies
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-01-17: Development of CO2 transport and storage demo projects
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-01-18: Clean Energy Transition Co-funded Partnership
Call – Sustainable, secure, and competitive energy supply. This call opens on 4 May 2023 and the deadline for submitting proposals is on 5 September 2023.
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-02-01: Development of near-zero-emission biomass heat and/or CHP including carbon capture
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-02-02: Novel thermal energy storage for CSP
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-02-03: Industrial manufacturing for lower-cost solar thermal components and systems
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-02-04: Innovative components and configurations for heat pumps
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-02-05: Advanced exploration technologies for geothermal resources in a wide range of geological settings
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-02-06: Smart use of geothermal electricity and heating and cooling in the energy system
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-02-07: Development of next-generation advanced biofuel technologies
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-02-08: Development of microalgae and/or direct solar fuel production and purification technologies for advanced aviation and /or shipping fuels
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-02-09: Demonstration of sustainable hydropower refurbishment
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-02-10: Development of innovative power take-off and control systems for wave energy devices
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-02-11: Advanced concepts for crystalline Silicon technology
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-02-12: Large Area Perovskite solar cells and modules
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-02-13: Operation, Performance, and Maintenance of PV Systems
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-02-14: Digital twin for forecasting of power production to wind energy demand
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-02-15: Critical technologies to improve the lifetime, efficient decommissioning, and increase the circularity of offshore and onshore wind energy systems
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-02-16: Accelerating the green transition and energy access in Africa
Call – Sustainable, secure, and competitive energy supply. This call opens on 4 May 2023 and the deadline for submitting proposals is on 11 October 2023.
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-03-01: Increasing the efficiency of innovative static energy conversion devices for electricity and heat/cold generation
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-03-02: Integration of renewable gases, other than hydrogen or methane, which have no access to gas grids and interfacing with electricity and heat sectors
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-03-03: System approach for grid planning and upgrade in support of dominant electric mobility (vehicles and vessels) using AI tools
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-03-04: Digital tools for enhancing the uptake of digital services in the energy market
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-03-05: Creation of a standardised and open-source peer-to-peer energy sharing platform architecture for the energy sector
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D3-03-06: Components and interfacing for AC & DC side protection system – AC & DC grid: components and systems for grid optimisation
Call – Sustainable, secure, and competitive energy supply. This call opens on 12 September 2023 and the deadline for submitting proposals is on 16 January 2024.
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D3-01-01: Alternative equipment and processes for advanced manufacturing of PV technologies
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D3-01-02: Low-power PV
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D3-01-03: Demonstration of improved intermediate renewable energy carrier technologies for transport fuels
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D3-01-04: Improvement of light harvesting and carbon fixation with synthetic biology and/or bio-inspired//biomimetic pathways for renewable direct solar fuels production
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D3-01-05: Development of carbon fixation technologies for biogenic flue gases
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D3-01-06: Innovative applications/integration of geothermal heating and cooling in industry
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D3-01-07: Development of hydropower equipment for improving techno-economic efficiency and equipment resilience in refurbishment situations
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D3-01-08: Demonstration of sustainable wave energy farms
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D3-01-09: Africa-EU CO-FUND action
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D3-01-10: Next generation of renewable energy technologies
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D3-01-11: AI Testing and Experimentation Facility (TEF) for the energy sector – bringing technology to the market
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D3-01-12: Energy Management Systems for flexibility services
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D3-01-13: DC and AC/DC hybrid transmission and distribution systems
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D3-01-14: Condition & Health Monitoring in Power Electronics (PE) – Wide Band Gap PE for the energy sector
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D3-01-15: HVAC, HVDC, and High-Power cable systems
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D3-01-16: Demonstration of innovative pumped storage equipment and tools in combination with innovative storage management systems
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D3-01-17: Development and integration of advanced software tools in SCADA systems for High, Medium, and Low voltage AC/DC hybrid systems
Call – Sustainable, secure, and competitive energy supply. This call opens on 7 May 2024 and the deadline for submitting proposals is on 5 September 2024.
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D3-02-01: Digital tools for CSP and solar thermal plants
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D3-02-02: Development of next-generation synthetic renewable fuel technologies
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D3-02-03: Development of smart concepts of integrated energy-driven bio-refineries for co-production of advanced biofuels, bio-chemicals, and biomaterials
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D3-02-04: Critical technologies for the future ocean energy farms
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D3-02-05: PV-integrated electric mobility applications
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D3-02-06: Innovative, Community-Integrated PV systems
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D3-02-07: Resource Efficiency of PV in Production, Use, and Disposal
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D3-02-08: Minimisation of environmental, and optimisation of socio-economic impacts in the deployment, operation, and decommissioning of offshore wind farms
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D3-02-09: Demonstrations of innovative floating wind concepts
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D3-02-10: Market Uptake Measures of renewable energy systems
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D3-02-11: CCU for the production of fuels
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D3-02-12: DACCS and BECCS for CO2 removal/negative emissions
Calls for proposals are published on the Funding and Tenders portal, where applicants can find the scope of funded activities and relevant details.
Info day on cluster Climate, Energy & Mobility
European Commission organized virtual Info Days for all the destinations of Cluster 5 -Energy, Climate, Mobility on 15 and 16 December 2022.
Find the presentations of destination #3 of Cluster 5 here:
- Wind, ocean, hydro, geothermal energy: https://webcast.ec.europa.eu/he-cluster-5-info-day-1c-2022-12-16
- Energy systems, grids, storage (ESGS): https://webcast.ec.europa.eu/he-cluster-5-info-day-2b-2022-12-16 & https://webcast.ec.europa.eu/he-cluster-5-info-day-virtual-room-1-2022-12-15
- Renewables (general topics) / Bioenergy / CCUS: https://webcast.ec.europa.eu/he-cluster-5-info-day-1c-2022-12-16
- Solar energy: https://webcast.ec.europa.eu/he-cluster-5-info-day-1c-2022-12-15
& Download the presentations in pdf by clicking on “show details” at the destination you are interested in: https://research-innovation-community.ec.europa.eu/events/6wKEl7CncTdqVAWmeWEASd/programme
Find an overview of all the presentations for all six destinations made during the Info Day here: https://research-innovation-community.ec.europa.eu/events/6wKEl7CncTdqVAWmeWEASd/overview
You can find more in the Info Day on social media by using this hashtag: #CL5INFODAYS22 and on Horizon Europe’s accounts, @HorizonEU
Read more about Cluster Climate, Energy, and Mobility here: https://research-and-innovation.ec.europa.eu/funding/funding-opportunities/funding-programmes-and-open-calls/horizon-europe/cluster-5-climate-energy-and-mobility_en
If you want to apply for funding for Cluster Mobility, find information here: Funding and Tenders portal.
Other destinations of Cluster Climate, Energy, Mobility
Cluster Climate, Energy, Mobility, has in total six destinations or impacts:
- Climate sciences and responses for the transformation toward climate neutrality
- Cross-sectoral solutions for the climate transition
- Sustainable, secure, and competitive energy supply
- Efficient, sustainable, and inclusive energy use
- Clean and competitive solutions for all transport modes
- Safe, Resilient Transport and Smart Mobility services for passengers and goods
Read about the other destinations in our upcoming blog articles.