The 6th Cluster that is addressing issues of Food, Bioeconomy, Natural Resources, Agriculture, and Environment is part of a series of six Clusters that come under the Pillar II of the Horizon Europe programme, named “Global Challenges & European Industrial Competitiveness”. The other 5 Clusters in total are Health, Culture, Creativity & Inclusive Society, Civil Security for Society, Digital Industry & Space, and Climate, Energy & Mobility. If you want to read more general information about the whole structure of the Horizon Europe programme, its components, and aims, click on our relevant blog article. Find more about Cluster 6 on the European Commission’s page here.
Cluster 6 | Food, Bioeconomy, Natural Resources, Agriculture, Environment
Europe is an urbanised continent. Europe’s level of urbanisation is expected to increase to approximately 83.7% in 2050. The migration of the population to cities is one of the factors driving agricultural land abandonment, which is expected to reach 4.2 million hectares over the period 2015-2030, bringing the total abandoned land to 5.6 million hectares by 2030, the equivalent of 3% of total agricultural land. As rural areas are deserted and people are concentrated in large cities, the problems of ecosystem degradation, mismanagement of natural resources, and air and soil pollution, become more and more crucial. Here comes Cluster 6 to offer incentives for projects that will offer solutions to these problems aiming at a sustainable bioeconomy and reinforcement of the circular economy. What’s more, this Cluster aims to ensure food and nutrition security for all, proposing digital solutions in agriculture, fisheries, aquaculture, and food systems.
Research and innovation activities under cluster 6 will contribute to the objectives of the European Green Deal related to the Biodiversity Strategy to 2030, the Farm to Fork strategy, the European Climate Pact and initiatives under sustainable industry and eliminating pollution, as well as the long-term vision for rural areas, and the Sustainable Development Goals.
The Destinations or impacts of Cluster 6:
This Cluster contains the following six expected impacts or destinations:
- Climate neutrality and adaptation to climate change by reducing greenhouse emissions, by protecting natural carbon sinks, and using nature-based solutions.
- Preservation and restoration of biodiversity and ecosystems through improved knowledge and innovation.
- Sustainable and circular management of natural resources through a better understanding of planetary boundaries and deployment of innovative technologies and other solutions, notably in primary production, forestry, and bio-based systems.
- Food and nutrition security for all from sustainable food systems from farm to fork using novelties in agriculture, fisheries, aquaculture, and food systems.
- Development of rural, coastal, and urban areas in a sustainable manner, taking into account the socio-economic, behavioural, and demographic drivers of change and making use of community-led innovations.
- Shared knowledge among communities and new digital forecasting capabilities to succeed in improved governance models.
Some facts & figures | Projects, participants & funding under Food, Bioeconomy, Natural Resources, Agriculture, and Environment Cluster of the Horizon Europe
Regarding the funding of the projects under the Cluster Food, Bioeconomy, Natural Resources, Agriculture, and Environment, we can see that the Net EU contribution is €1,77 billion, with the total cost reaching €2,09 billion, 308 signed grants in total, and 5,788 organisations participating in them (figures on 2/2023).
The four top participating countries in terms of the number of participants are in this order: Spain, Germany, Italy, and France. The top four participant countries in terms of the NET EU contribution come in this order: Germany, Spain, Netherlands, and France.
EU’s financing on Cluster 6, Food, Bioeconomy, Natural Resources, Agriculture, and Environment
Cyprus’ financing of Cluster Food, Bioeconomy, Natural Resources, Agriculture, and Environment of the Horizon Europe
Concerning the projects funded under this Cluster about Climate, Energy & Mobility, Cyprus is coming in the 29th position in terms of the number of participants (figures on 2/23).
The Net EU contribution is €12,26 million, with the total cost reaching €15,71 million, 32 signed grants in total for 2021 and 2022, and 42 organisations participating in them.
Cyprus’s financing on Cluster 6, Food, Bioeconomy, Natural Resources, Agriculture, and Environment