Destination #5 of Cluster Mobility is referred to as the “Safe, Resilient Transport and Smart Mobility services for passengers and goods”. Under the umbrella of this Cluster of Mobility, there are in total six distinct destinations or impacts, each one related to a specific area of the broad issue of mobility. Here we will analyze destination #6.
Where does destination #6 aim at?
- Suitable research and innovation that will take into account current digital technologies and advanced satellite navigation services (like Galileo/EGNOS).
- Maintaining the competitiveness of Europe’s transport industry and transformation of supply-based transport to demand-driven, safe, climate-neutral, and sustainable model for passengers and freight.
- Cleaner and smarter operations for Europe’s aging transport infrastructure.
- Research and innovation aiming at setting the basis for future standards and the regulatory framework, creating European and global markets.
- Creation of inclusive solutions that will take into account matters of data privacy and public acceptance.
Which Horizon calls address destination #6?
Each cluster of Horizon Europe is addressed by the so-called “calls”, a kind of announcement from the European Commission to all stakeholders, and to everyone interested in applying for funding for a project or a research idea.
Calls are also announced for each destination of each cluster. Thus, this destination #6 contributes directly to the Strategic Plan’s Key Strategic Orientation: 1) “Making Europe the first digitally-enabled circular, climate-neutral, and sustainable economy through the transformation of its mobility, energy, construction, and production system”, 2) “Promoting an open strategic autonomy by leading the development of key digital, enabling and emerging technologies, sectors, and value chains to accelerate and steer the digital and green transitions through human-centered technologies and innovations”. The expected impact of this destination is “Safe, seamless, smart, inclusive, resilient and sustainable mobility systems for people and goods thanks to user-centric technologies and services including digital technologies and advanced satellite navigation services”, notably through, 1) “Accelerating the implementation of innovative connected, cooperative and automated mobility (CCAM) technologies and systems for passengers and goods”, 2) “Further developing a multimodal transport system through sustainable and smart long-haul and urban freight transport and logistics, upgraded and resilient physical and digital infrastructures for smarter vehicles and operations, for optimised system-wide network efficiency”, 3) “Drastically decreasing the number of transport accidents, incidents and fatalities towards the EU’s long-term goal of moving close to zero fatalities and serious injuries by 2050 even in road transportation (Vision Zero) and increase the resilience of transport systems”.
Specifically, the calls under destination #6, Safe, Resilient Transport and Smart Mobility services for passengers and goods, are 2 and each one has several topics:
Call – Safe, Resilient Transport and Smart Mobility services for passengers and goods. This call opens in May 2023 and the deadline for submitting proposals is on 5 September 2023.
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D6-01-01: User-centric development of vehicle technologies and solutions to optimise the on-board experience and ensure inclusiveness (CCAM Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D6-01-02: Generation of scenarios for development, training, virtual testing, and validation of CCAM systems (CCAM Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D6-01-03: Infrastructure-enabled solutions for improving the continuity or extension of Operational Design Domains (ODDs) (CCAM Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D6-01-04: Integrating European diversity in the design, development, and implementation of CCAM solutions to support mobility equity (CCAM Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D6-01-05: CCAM effects on jobs and education, plans for skills that match the CCAM development, and prerequisites for employment growth (CCAM Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D6-01-06: Zero-emission e-commerce and freight delivery and return choices by retailers, consumers, and local authorities
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D6-01-07: Operational automation to support multimodal freight transport
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D6-01-08: Future-proof GHG and environmental emissions factors for accounting emissions from transport and logistics operations
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D6-01-09: Climate resilient and safe maritime ports
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D6-01-10: Better infrastructure safety on urban and secondary rural roads through a combination of adaptable monitoring and maintenance solutions
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D6-01-11: Aviation safety – Uncertainty quantification for safety and risk management
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D6-01-12: New ways of reducing serious injuries and the long-term consequences of road crashes
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D6-01-13: Support for dissemination events in the field of Transport Research
Call – Safe, Resilient Transport and Smart Mobility services for passengers and goods. This call opens on 7 May 2024 and the deadline for submitting proposals is on 5 September 2024. For the following topics, there is no further information yet uploaded in the funders and tenders portal of the EU.
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D6-01-01: Centralised, reliable, cyber-secure & upgradable in-vehicle electronic control architectures for CCAM connected to the cloud-edge continuum (CCAM Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D6-01-02: Scenario-based safety assurance of CCAM and related HMI in a dynamically evolving transport system (CCAM Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D6-01-03: Orchestration of heterogeneous actors in mixed traffic within the CCAM ecosystem (CCAM Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D6-01-04: AI for advanced and collective perception and decision-making for CCAM applications (CCAM Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D6-01-05: Robust Knowledge and Know-How transfer for Key-Deployment Pathways and implementation of the EU-CEM (CCAM Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D6-01-06: Optimising multimodal network and traffic management, harnessing data from infrastructures, mobility of passengers and freight transport
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D6-01-07: Scaling up logistics innovations supporting freight transport decarbonisation in an affordable way
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D6-01-08: Improved transport infrastructure performance – Innovative digital tools and solutions to monitor and improve the management and operation of transport infrastructure
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D6-01-09: Policies and governance shaping the future transport and mobility systems
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D6-01-10: Ensuring the safety, resilience, and security of waterborne digital systems
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D6-01-11: Effects of disruptive changes in transport: towards resilient, safe and energy-efficient mobility
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D6-01-12: A new framework to improve traffic safety culture in the EU
Calls for proposals are published on the Funding and Tenders portal, where applicants can find the scope of funded activities and relevant details.
Info day on cluster Climate, Energy & Mobility
European Commission organized virtual Info Days for all the destinations of Cluster 5 -Energy, Climate, Mobility on 15 and 16 December 2022.
Find the presentation of destination #6 of Cluster 5 here:
- Destination 6: Cooperative, connected and automated mobility (CCAM) & Multimodal transport: https://webcast.ec.europa.eu/he-cluster-5-info-day-virtual-room-2-2022-12-15
& Download the presentations in pdf by clicking on “show details” at the destination you are interested in: https://research-innovation-community.ec.europa.eu/events/6wKEl7CncTdqVAWmeWEASd/programme
Find an overview of all the presentations for all six destinations made during the Info Day here: https://research-innovation-community.ec.europa.eu/events/6wKEl7CncTdqVAWmeWEASd/overview
You can find more in the Info Day on social media by using this hashtag: #CL5INFODAYS22 and on Horizon Europe’s accounts, @HorizonEU
Read more about Cluster Climate, Energy, and Mobility here: https://research-and-innovation.ec.europa.eu/funding/funding-opportunities/funding-programmes-and-open-calls/horizon-europe/cluster-5-climate-energy-and-mobility_en
If you want to apply for funding for Cluster Mobility, find information here: Funding and Tenders portal.
Other destinations of Cluster Climate, Energy, Mobility
Cluster Climate, Energy, Mobility, has in total six destinations or impacts:
- Climate sciences and responses for the transformation toward climate neutrality
- Cross-sectoral solutions for the climate transition
- Sustainable, secure, and competitive energy supply
- Efficient, sustainable, and inclusive energy use
- Clean and competitive solutions for all transport modes
- Safe, Resilient Transport and Smart Mobility services for passengers and goods
Read about the other destinations in our upcoming blog articles.