Destination #5 of Cluster Mobility is referred to as the “Clean and competitive solutions for all transport modes”. Under the umbrella of this Cluster of Mobility, there are in total six distinct destinations or impacts, each one related to a specific area of the broad issue of mobility. Here we will analyze destination #5.
Where does destination #5 aim at?
- Intensified research and innovation activities are needed across all transport modes and in line with societal needs and preferences, for the EU to reach its policy goals towards net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050 and to reduce significantly air pollutants.
- Research and innovation aiming at a zero-emission road transport
- Research and innovation aiming at a climate-neutral, automatic, and digitalized rail system.
- Research and innovation aiming at integrated aircraft technologies for deep decarbonisation transformation, reducing all aviation impacts (including noise) and emissions, including of air pollutants.
- Research and innovation aiming at zero-emission solutions in the shipping sector, improvement of its system efficiency, and enhancement of digital and EU satellite navigation solutions.
Which Horizon calls address destination #5?
Each cluster of Horizon Europe is addressed by the so-called “calls”, a kind of announcement from the European Commission to all stakeholders, and to everyone interested in applying for funding for a project or a research idea.
Calls are also announced for each destination of each cluster. Thus, this destination #5 contributes directly to the Strategic Plan’s Key Strategic Orientation: 1) “Making Europe the first digitally-enabled circular, climate-neutral, and sustainable economy through the transformation of its mobility, energy, construction, and production system”, 2) “Promoting an open strategic autonomy by leading the development of key digital, enabling and emerging technologies, sectors, and value chains to accelerate and steer the digital and green transitions through human-centered technologies and innovations”. The expected impact of this destination is “Towards climate-neutral and environmental friendly mobility through clean solutions across all transport modes while increasing global competitiveness of the EU transport sector”, notably through, 1) “Transforming road transport to zero-emission mobility through a world-class European research and innovation and industrial system, ensuring that Europe remains world leader in innovation, production and services in relation to road transport”, and 2) “Accelerating the reduction of all aviation impacts and emissions (CO2 and non-CO2, including manufacturing and end-of-life, noise), developing aircraft technologies for deep reduction of greenhouse gas emissions, and maintaining European aero-industry’s global leadership position”.
Specifically, the calls under destination #5, Clean and competitive solutions for all transport modes, are 2 and each one has several topics:
Call – Clean and competitive solutions for all transport modes. This call opened on December 2022 and the deadline for submitting proposals is on 20 April 2023.
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-01: User-centric design and operation of EV for optimized energy efficiency (2ZERO Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-02: Innovative battery management systems for next-generation vehicles (2ZERO & Batt4EU Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-03: Frugal zero-emission vehicles concepts for the urban passenger challenge (2ZERO Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-04: Circular economy approaches for zero-emission vehicles (2ZERO Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-05: Measuring road transport results towards 2ZERO KPIs (2ZERO Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-06: EU Member States/Associated countries research policy cooperation network to accelerate zero-emission road mobility (2ZERO Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-07: Hydrogen-powered aviation
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-08: Accelerating climate-neutral hydrogen-powered/electrified aviation
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-09: Competitiveness and digital transformation in aviation – advancing further capabilities, digital approach to design
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-10: Aviation research synergies between Horizon Europe, AZEA, and National programs
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-11: Developing the next generation of power conversion technologies for sustainable alternative carbon-neutral fuels in waterborne applications (ZEWT Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-12: Demonstrations to accelerate the switch to the safe use of new sustainable climate-neutral fuels in waterborne transport (ZEWT Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-13: Integrated real-time digital solutions to optimise navigation and port calls to reduce emissions from shipping (ZEWT Partnership))
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-14: Developing a flexible offshore supply of zero-emission auxiliary power for ships moored or anchored at sea deployable before 2030 (ZEWT Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-15: Reducing the environmental impact from shipyards and developing a whole-life strategy to measure and minimise the non-operational environmental impacts from shipping
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-16: Developing small, flexible, zero-emission, and automated vessels to support shifting cargo from road to sustainable Waterborne Transport
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-17: Towards the implementation of the inland navigation action programme with a focus on Green and Connected Inland Waterway Transport
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-18: Advanced transport emissions monitoring networks
- HORIZON-CL5-2023-D5-01-19: Support for the organisation of EU-US symposia in the field of Transport Research
Call – Clean and competitive solutions for all transport modes. This call opens on 7 December 2023 and the deadline for submitting proposals is on 18 April 2024.
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-01: Smart, low-cost pervasive stationary slow charging and bi-directional solutions synergic with the grid for EV mass deployment (2ZERO Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-02: Integration and testing of next generation post-800V electric powertrains (2ZERO Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-03: Advanced battery system integration for next-generation vehicles (2ZERO Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-04: Integrated flexible multipoint megawatt charging systems for electric truck mass deployment (2ZERO Partnership) (2024)
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-05: Advanced digital development tools to accelerate the development of software-defined vehicles that enable zero-emission mobility (2ZERO Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-06: New designs, shapes, and functionalities of Light Commercial Vehicles (2ZERO Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-07: Accelerating climate-neutral aviation, minimising non-CO2 emissions
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-08: Competitiveness and digital transformation in aviation – advancing further composite aerostructures
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-09: Impact monitoring of EU Aviation R&I
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-10: Towards a flying testbed for European leadership in aviation
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-11: Achieving high voltage, low weight, efficient electric powertrains for sustainable waterborne transport (ZEWT Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-12: Combining state-of-the-art emission reduction and efficiency improvement technologies in ship design and retrofitting for contributing to the “Fit for 55” package objective by 2030 (ZEWT Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-13: Demonstration of Technologies to minimise underwater noise generated by waterborne transport (ZEWT Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-14: Demonstrating efficient fully DC electric grids within waterborne transport for large ship applications (ZEWT Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-15: Advanced digitalisation and modelling utilizing operational and other data to support zero emission waterborne transport (ZEWT Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-16: Structuring the Waterborne transport sector, including through changed business and industrial models to achieve commercial zero-emission waterborne transport (ZEWT Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-17: Coordinating and supporting the combined activities of member and associated states towards the objectives of the Zero Emission Waterborne Transport partnership to increase synergies and impact (ZEWT Partnership)
- HORIZON-CL5-2024-D5-01-18: Assessment of air pollutant emissions from low-carbon fuels in the heavy-duty, aviation, and maritime sectors
Calls for proposals are published on the Funding and Tenders portal, where applicants can find the scope of funded activities and relevant details.
Info day on cluster Climate, Energy & Mobility
European Commission organized virtual Info Days for all the destinations of Cluster 5 -Energy, Climate, Mobility on 15 and 16 December 2022.
Find the presentations of destination #5 of Cluster 5 here:
- Destination 5: Waterborne and Health and cross-cutting topics: https://webcast.ec.europa.eu/he-cluster-5-info-day-4c-2022-12-16
- Destination 5: 2ZERO & Aviation: https://webcast.ec.europa.eu/he-cluster-5-info-day-2b-2022-12-16
& Download the presentations in pdf by clicking on “show details” at the destination you are interested in: https://research-innovation-community.ec.europa.eu/events/6wKEl7CncTdqVAWmeWEASd/programme
Find an overview of all the presentations for all six destinations made during the Info Day here: https://research-innovation-community.ec.europa.eu/events/6wKEl7CncTdqVAWmeWEASd/overview
You can find more in the Info Day on social media by using this hashtag: #CL5INFODAYS22 and on Horizon Europe’s accounts, @HorizonEU
Read more about Cluster Climate, Energy, and Mobility here: https://research-and-innovation.ec.europa.eu/funding/funding-opportunities/funding-programmes-and-open-calls/horizon-europe/cluster-5-climate-energy-and-mobility_en
Other destinations of Cluster Climate, Energy, Mobility
Cluster Climate, Energy, Mobility, has in total six destinations or impacts:
- Climate sciences and responses for the transformation toward climate neutrality
- Cross-sectoral solutions for the climate transition
- Sustainable, secure, and competitive energy supply
- Efficient, sustainable, and inclusive energy use
- Clean and competitive solutions for all transport modes
- Safe, Resilient Transport and Smart Mobility services for passengers and goods
Read about the other destinations in our upcoming blog articles.