Destination #6 of Cluster Health is referred to as “Maintaining an innovative, sustainable, and globally competitive health industry”. Under the umbrella of this Cluster of Health, there are in total six distinct destinations or impacts, each one related to a specific area of the broad issue of health. Here we will analyze destination #6.
Where does destination #6 aim at?
- Cross-sectorial research and innovation (integrating medical technologies, pharmaceuticals, biotechnologies, digital health, and eHealth technologies) to strengthen the single market, support the standardisation policy, drive innovation from the demand side, and provide evidence and guidelines for stakeholders and regulators.
- Support studies for health assessment procedures, clinical performance demonstration, quality assurance schemes, and standardization.
- New cross-sectorial business models where health-related industry cooperates early with healthcare systems in the development of value-added products and services to enable an optimal uptake and deployment of innovative solutions as well as to achieve the triple aim of improving the patient experience of care (including quality and satisfaction), improving the health of populations, and reducing the per capita cost of health care.
Which Horizon calls address destination #6?
Each cluster of Horizon Europe is addressed by the so-called “calls”, a kind of announcement from the European Commission to all stakeholders, and to everyone interested in applying for funding for a project or a research idea.
Calls are also announced for each destination of each cluster. Thus, for this destination #6, calls for proposals are directed towards the Key Strategic Orientation KSO-D “Promoting an open strategic autonomy by leading the development of key digital, enabling and emerging technologies, sectors and value chains” of Horizon Europe’s Strategic Plan 2021-2024.
Research and innovation supported under this destination should contribute to the impact area “A competitive and secure data-economy” and in particular to the following expected impact, set out in the Strategic Plan for the health cluster: “EU health industry is innovative, sustainable and globally competitive thanks to improved uptake of breakthrough technologies and innovations, which makes the EU with its Member States more resilient and less dependent from imports about the access to and supply of critical health technologies”. In addition, research and innovation supported under this destination could also contribute to the following impact areas: “Industrial leadership in key and emerging technologies that work for people”, ‘High-quality digital services for all”, and “Good health and high-quality accessible health care”.
Specifically, the calls under destination #6 are two and each one has several topics:
Call – A competitive health-related industry (Single stage – 2023). This call has opened and the deadline to submit applications is on 13 April 2023.
- HORIZON-HLTH-2023-IND-06-01: Supporting the uptake of innovative Health Technology Assessment (HTA) methodology and advancing HTA expertise across the EU.
- HORIZON-HLTH-2023-IND-06-02: Expanding the European Electronic Health Record Exchange Format to improve interoperability within the European Health Data Space
- HORIZON-HLTH-2023-IND-06-04: Modelling and simulation to address regulatory needs in the development of orphan and pediatric medicines
- HORIZON-HLTH-2023-IND-06-05: Mapping the hurdles for the clinical applications of Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products (ATMPs)
- HORIZON-HLTH-2023-IND-06-07: Development and harmonisation of methodologies for assessing digital health technologies in Europe
Call – A competitive health-related industry (Single stage – 2024). This call will open on 26 October 2023 and the deadline to submit applications is on 11 April 2024.
- HORIZON-HLTH-2024-IND-06-08: Developing EU methodological frameworks for clinical/performance evaluation and post-market clinical/performance follow-up of medical devices and in vitro diagnostic medical devices (IVDs)
- HORIZON-HLTH-2024-IND-06-09: Gaining experience and confidence in New Approach Methodologies (NAM) for regulatory safety and efficacy testing – coordinated training and experience exchange for regulators
For further information on the calls for proposals, the funded activities, and relevant details you can visit the Funding and Tenders portal.
Info day on cluster Health
European Commission organized a virtual Info Day for all the destinations of Cluster 1 – Health on 19 January 2023.
Find the presentation of destination #6 of Cluster Health here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_7f7HrfIyY
Find an overview of all the presentations for all six destinations made during the Info Day here: https://research-innovation-community.ec.europa.eu/events/2zRJQrIdbL7rCriIJbBN4l/overview
You can find more in the Info Day on social media by using this hashtag: #CL1INFODAY and on Horizon Europe’s accounts, @HorizonEU
Read more about Cluster Health here: https://research-and-innovation.ec.europa.eu/funding/funding-opportunities/funding-programmes-and-open-calls/horizon-europe/cluster-1-health_en
If you want to apply for funding for Cluster Health, find information here: Funding and Tenders portal.
Other destinations of Cluster Health
Cluster Health, has in total six destinations or impacts:
- Staying healthy in a rapidly changing society
- Living and working in a health-promoting environment
- Tackling diseases and reducing disease burden
- Ensuring access to innovative, sustainable, and high-quality healthcare
- Unlocking the full potential of new tools, technologies, and digital solutions for a healthy society
- Maintaining an innovative, sustainable, and globally competitive health-related industry
Read about the other destinations in our upcoming blog articles.