Destination #5 of Cluster Health is referred to as “Unlocking the full potential of new tools, technologies, and digital solutions for a healthy society”. Under the umbrella of this Cluster of Health, there are in total six distinct destinations or impacts, each one related to a specific area of the broad issue of health. Here we will analyze destination #5.
Where does destination #5 aim at?
- Health technologies, new tools, and digital solutions to be applied effectively thanks to their inclusive, secure, and ethical development, delivery, integration, and deployment in health policies and health and care systems.
- New tools for biomedical research, prevention, diagnosis, therapy, and monitoring, that will be safe, effective, accessible to all, affordable, sustainable (environmentally and socioeconomically), ethical, and bound under a legal framework.
- Use of artificial intelligence in analysing high volumes of health data with high potential for advancing biomedical research, personalised medicine, and healthcare.
Which Horizon calls address destination #5?
Each cluster of Horizon Europe is addressed by the so-called “calls”, a kind of announcement from the European Commission to all stakeholders, and to everyone interested in applying for funding for a project or a research idea.
Calls are also announced for each destination of each cluster. Thus, for this destination #5, calls for proposals are directed towards the Key Strategic Orientation KSO-D “Promoting an open strategic autonomy by leading the development of key digital, enabling and emerging technologies, sectors and value chains” of Horizon Europe’s Strategic Plan 2021-2024.
Research and innovation supported under this destination should contribute to the impact area “High-quality digital services for all” and in particular to the following expected impact, set out in the Strategic Plan for the health cluster: “Health technologies, new tools, and digital solutions are applied effectively thanks to their inclusive, secure and ethical development, delivery, integration and deployment in health policies and health and care systems”. In addition, research and innovation supported under this destination could also contribute to the following impact areas: “A competitive and secure data economy, ‘Industrial leadership in key and emerging technologies that work for people’, and ‘Good health and high-quality accessible health care”.
Specifically, the calls under destination #5, Unlocking the full potential of new tools, technologies, and digital solutions for a healthy society are three, and each one has several topics:
Call – Tools and technologies for a healthy society (Single stage – 2023). This call has opened and has a deadline to submit applications on 13 April 2023.
- HORIZON-HLTH-2023-TOOL-05-01: Clinical trials of combined Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products (ATMPs)
- HORIZON-HLTH-2023-TOOL-05-03: Integrated, multi-scale computational models of patient pathophysiology (‘virtual twins’) for personalised disease management
- HORIZON-HLTH-2023-TOOL-05-04: Better integration and use of health-related real-world and research data, including genomics, for improved clinical outcomes
- HORIZON-HLTH-2023-TOOL-05-05: Harnessing the potential of real-time data analysis and secure Point-of-Care computing for the benefit of person-centred health and care delivery
- HORIZON-HLTH-2023-TOOL-05-08: Pandemic preparedness and response: In vitro diagnostic devices to tackle cross-border health threats
- HORIZON-HLTH-2023-TOOL-05-09: Developing a Data Quality and Utility Label for the European Health Data Space
Call – Tools and technologies for a healthy society (Two stage – 2024). This call opens on 30 March 2023 and has a deadline to submit applications on 19 September (for the first stage) and 11 April 2024 (for the second stage).
- HORIZON-HLTH-2024-TOOL-05-06-two-stage: Innovative non-animal human-based tools and strategies for biomedical research
Call – Tools and technologies for a healthy society (Single stage – 2024). This call opens on 26 October 2023 and has a deadline to submit applications on 11 April 2024.
- HORIZON-HLTH-2024-TOOL-11-02: Bio-printing of living cells for regenerative medicine
For further information on the calls for proposals, the funded activities, and relevant details you can visit the Funding and Tenders portal.
Info day on cluster Health
European Commission organized a virtual Info Day for all the destinations of Cluster 1 – Health on 19 January 2023.
Find the presentation of destination #5 of Cluster Health here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwrRQ1Ue6ss&feature=youtu.be
Find an overview of all the presentations for all six destinations made during the Info Day here: https://research-innovation-community.ec.europa.eu/events/2zRJQrIdbL7rCriIJbBN4l/overview
You can find more in the Info Day on social media by using this hashtag: #CL1INFODAY and on Horizon Europe’s accounts, @HorizonEU
Other destinations of Cluster Health
Cluster Health, has in total six destinations or impacts:
- Staying healthy in a rapidly changing society
- Living and working in a health-promoting environment
- Tackling diseases and reducing disease burden
- Ensuring access to innovative, sustainable, and high-quality healthcare
- Unlocking the full potential of new tools, technologies, and digital solutions for a healthy society
- Maintaining an innovative, sustainable, and globally competitive health-related industry
Read about the other destinations in our upcoming blog articles.