Destination #4 of Cluster Health is referred to as “Ensuring access to innovative, sustainable, and high-quality healthcare”. Under the umbrella of this Cluster of Health, there are in total six distinct destinations or impacts, each one related to a specific area of the broad issue of health. Here we will analyze destination #4.
Where does destination #4 aim at?
- Development and uptake of safe, cost-effective and people-centered solutions, with a focus on population health, health systems resilience, as well as improved evidence-based health policies.
- Development of innovative solutions for health care systems in all their various dimensions (e.g. governance and financing, resilience and preparedness for health emergencies and climate changes, education and training of the health workforce, health service provision, and sustainability, interaction with patients and patient empowerment) and for policy-making (health in all policies).
- New evidence, methods, and tools for decision-makers to implement successfully innovative solutions into their health care systems, improving the governance and resilience of health care systems as well as allocating resources according to people’s needs.
Which Horizon calls address destination #4?
Each cluster of Horizon Europe is addressed by the so-called “calls”, a kind of announcement from the European Commission to all stakeholders, and to everyone interested in applying for funding for a project or a research idea.
Calls are also announced for each destination of each cluster. Thus, for this destination #4, calls for proposals are directed towards the Key Strategic Orientation KSO-D “Creating a more resilient, inclusive and democratic European society” of Horizon Europe’s Strategic Plan 2021-2024.
Research and innovation supported under this destination should contribute to the impact area “Good health and high-quality accessible healthcare” and “A resilient EU prepared for emerging threats” and in particular to the following expected impact, set out in the Strategic Plan for the health cluster: “Health care systems provide equal access to innovative, sustainable and high-quality health care thanks to the development and uptake of safe, cost-effective and people-centered solutions, with a focus on population health, health systems resilience, as well as improved evidence-based health policies”. In addition, research and innovation supported under this destination could also contribute to the following impact areas: “Climate change mitigation and adaptation”, “High-quality digital services for all” and “A Competitive and secure data economy”.
Specifically, the calls under destination #4, Ensuring access to innovative, sustainable, and high-quality healthcare, are 3 and each one has several topics:
Call – Ensuring access to innovative, sustainable, and high-quality health care (Single stage – 2023)
- HORIZON-HLTH-2023-CARE-04-01: Maintaining access to regular health and care services in case of cross-border emergencies
- HORIZON-HLTH-2023-CARE-04-02: Resilience and mental well-being of the health and care workforce
- HORIZON-HLTH-2023-CARE-04-03: Environmentally sustainable and climate-neutral health and care systems
Call – Partnerships in Health (2023)
- HORIZON-HLTH-2023-CARE-08-01: European Partnership on Personalised Medicine
Call – Ensuring access to innovative, sustainable, and high-quality health care (Two stage – 2024).
- HORIZON-HLTH-2024-CARE-04-04-two-stage: Access to health and care services for people in vulnerable situations
For further information on the calls for proposals, the funded activities, and relevant details you can visit the Funding and Tenders portal.
Info day on cluster Health
European Commission organized a virtual Info Day for all the destinations of Cluster 1 – Health on 19 January 2023.
Find the presentation of destination #4 of Cluster Health here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-X9T30KXnw
Find an overview of all the presentations for all six destinations made during the Info Day here: https://research-innovation-community.ec.europa.eu/events/2zRJQrIdbL7rCriIJbBN4l/overview
You can find more in the Info Day on social media by using this hashtag: #CL1INFODAY and on Horizon Europe’s accounts, @HorizonEU
Read more about Cluster Health here: https://research-and-innovation.ec.europa.eu/funding/funding-opportunities/funding-programmes-and-open-calls/horizon-europe/cluster-1-health_en
If you want to apply for funding for Cluster Health, find information here: Funding and Tenders portal.
Other destinations of Cluster Health
Cluster Health, has in total six destinations or impacts:
- Staying healthy in a rapidly changing society
- Living and working in a health-promoting environment
- Tackling diseases and reducing disease burden
- Ensuring access to innovative, sustainable, and high-quality healthcare
- Unlocking the full potential of new tools, technologies, and digital solutions for a healthy society
- Maintaining an innovative, sustainable, and globally competitive health-related industry
Read about the other destinations in our upcoming blog articles.